Posted September 27, 2021
Full Time / Exempt / At-Will Employee
Salary: $100,000 - $130,000
Reporting to the board of trustees in partnership with the Artistic Director, the Managing Director will provide strategic leadership and financial oversight. They will be responsible for all of Shakes & Co.’s administrative and business functions, including fundraising, marketing, and human resources. This individual will build and maintain positive and authentic relationships with all staff, artists, volunteers, board members, and audiences, helping to bring more people to Shakes & Co. and making it a welcoming community hub. They will collaborate with partners locally throughout the Berkshires, as well as nationally and internationally. The Managing Director will be committed to making Shakes & Co. more inclusive by developing and championing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Organizational Leadership & Oversight
- Actively partner with the Artistic Director in a co-leadership model so that business functions and artistic vision work together to ensure the ongoing viability of the company.
- Conduct an organization-wide audit, identifying ways in which positions and departments can be restructured for maximum effectiveness and ensuring that staff are placed in roles that best align with the organization’s needs.
- Oversee the hire of key roles within the organization while nurturing and mentoring new and existing staff.
- Build and maintain a robust Human Resources function, implementing new policies, systems, and procedures that are in alignment with the organization’s mission and values.
- Improve the facilities on campus, including creating more space for costumes, upgrading the fleet of vehicles, modernizing onsite housing, and obtaining new machinery, equipment, and technology.
- Support the Marketing Department by implementing a website update and making prompt decisions to ensure external marketing communications are consistent and timely.
- Prioritize the work of the Education and Actor Training Departments so that they are more integrated into the organization, helping expand their reach and impact nationally and internationally.
- Create and maintain a positive culture and work environment where all departments are equally valued and staff of all genders, ethnicities, and backgrounds feel appreciated.
- Prioritize equity, diversity, inclusion, and access work in all aspects of artistic and management decisions.
- Demonstrate a genuine curiosity and interest in all aspects of the organization, including attending educational performances, so that all parts of the institution are fully understood and valued.
Community Engagement & Fundraising Excellence
- Act as a visible spokesperson for the organization, positively engaging with audience members and donors at performances and taking an active public speaking role at events to become a major community leader.
- Participate in local committees and boards, leveraging the growing population in the Berkshires in order to develop relationships with individuals in the community who can become donors.
- Collaborate with other arts and culture organizations locally and nationally, including institutions that are BIPOC-led, creating partnerships that serve a wide audience and create lasting impact.
- Develop and champion transparent equity, diversity, inclusion, and access initiatives, ensuring that historically underrepresented people are included in all activities and that Shakes & Co. is a safe and welcoming space.
- Expand fundraising efforts, including creating new institutional, individual, and foundation relationships.
- Identify and establish relationships with key funders and donors to help develop new sources of fundraising.
Financial Management and Board Governance
- Oversee and develop the organizational budget, carefully managing expenses and income to ensure financial stability and growth.
- Develop forecasting models for all revenue streams in partnership with the Artistic Director and Director of Finance.
- Lead the finance and executive committees, monitoring and reporting financial performance to the board to support decision making.
- Explain budgets and forecasts to staff, funders, and board members so that everyone fully understands why financial decisions are made and how resources are allocated.
- Broaden earned income through increased ticket sales by growing the number of visitors to the campus and enhancing revenue from training and education.
- Expand, diversify, and manage the board of trustees by ensuring that current board members are best engaged according to their skills, interests, and the needs of the organization.
- Regularly keep board members updated, acting as a liaison between board committees, staff, and the Artistic Director.
TRAITS & CHARACTERISTICS
The Managing Director will be a dynamic and inspirational leader who communicates effectively with all stakeholders and solves problems with a calm and entrepreneurial approach. They will have the ability to give constructive criticism or positive feedback when required and make difficult decisions firmly yet compassionately. With a transparent, collaborative, and open-door approach, the Managing Director will be a thoughtful and patient individual who is trusted by all and is committed to ensuring that everyone feels valued, respected, and heard.
Other key competencies include:
- Time, Priority, and Conflict Management – The capacity to prioritize and complete tasks within scheduled time frames while addressing and resolving conflict constructively.
- Planning and Organizing – The dexterity to establish courses of action to ensure work is completed effectively.
- Interpersonal Skills and Customer Focus – The acumen to communicate effectively and relate well to people from all backgrounds while anticipating and meeting the needs and expectations of customers.
Shakes & Co. does not require specific educational requirements for this position, although credentials in arts administration, nonprofit management, business, or a related field are useful. Previous theater management experience is beneficial. Qualified candidates possess a leadership background that includes managing staff, building and strengthening strategic partnerships, and overseeing finances and budgets. Previous experience working alongside a board is highly desirable. The successful candidate must have a deep passion for theater. Exceptional writing abilities and verbal presentation skills are expected.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Shakespeare & Co. provides a competitive and equitable compensation package in the range of $100,000 to $130,000, with benefits that include paid vacation; health insurance (60 percent paid for by Shakes & Co.); sick leave, personal days, and holidays; and a voluntary retirement plan with company match. A generous relocation bonus will be offered if the candidate is not already based in the Berkshires.
APPLICATIONS & INQUIRIES
To submit a cover letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments (electronic submissions preferred), please click here or visit artsconsulting.com/employment. For questions or general inquiries about this job opportunity, please contact:
Geoff Chang, Vice President
Arts Consulting Group
New York, NY 10022-2991
Tel (888) 234.4236 Ext. 218
Shakespeare & Company believes that live theatre connects us all in the universal pursuit of a purposeful existence and reveals through storytelling the meaning of our humanity. This can only be achieved when theatre is genuinely inclusive and reflects the stories of all, particularly those who have been ignored, diminished, or erased.