Modeled after our internationally acclaimed Month-long Intensive, the Summer Training Institute provides young actors the opportunity to immerse themselves in Shakespeare six days a week for four weeks during the height of our Summer performance season.
Daily classes focus on:
- Full complement of Shakespeare text work
- the full progression of Linklater voice work taught by designated Linklater teachers
- Elizabethan Dance
- Hand-to-hand Stage Combat
- Exploration of the actor/audience relationship
- Introduction to the First Folio and early Quartos as the actor’s resource
- Monologue, sonnet and scene work
- Readings in Elizabethan stagecraft and theater-going practices
In addition, participants will:
- Attend Master Classes from the Company’s leading actors
- Have the opportunity to engage Company members in an inquiry on training and rehearsal methods
- Attend Shakespeare & Company productions for free
A typical day might include:
9:00 – 10:30 Linklater Voice
10:45 – 12:15 Movement
12:30 – 1:45 Lunch
1:45 – 3:15 Text/Scene Work
3:30 – 5:00 Fight, Clown, or Elizabethan Dance
5:00 – 7:00 Dinner
7:00 – 10:00 Text or other class, or attend theatre performance
The above is intended to give an idea of a day rather a specific commitment to an inflexible schedule. There will be changes; occasionally there will be time free for learning lines and occasionally a night off. There will be one day off each week, typically Mondays. All scene work will culminate in a final showing of the scenes open to company members, family and friends of the participants.
Classes will run from May 31, 2016 – June 26, 2016 with May 30 being arrival day and June 27 being departure day.
TUITION: $4750 (includes room and board)
(Early Payment Discount: Save $500 if tuition is paid in full by March 1, 2016.)
The Summer Training Institute is open to undergraduate theatre students and recent graduates. A deposit of at least half the total tuition is required to guarantee a place in the program.
Participants are housed and fed by Shakespeare & Company. There will be opportunity for social interaction with Company members in the evenings as well as opportunities to see the performances of the Shakespeare & Company season.
Shakespeare & Company’s Weekend Intensives serve as excellent introductions to our training, and what you will gain from participating in the Summer Training Institute.